Red Lodge








In 1854, the Rev Swinney founded a Model Lodging House following the Common Lodging Houses Act of 1851. This Act gave boroughs and vestries the power to supervise minimum standards of cleanliness and ventilation in the common lodging houses for poor and vulnerable people.

Red lodge Map

Set on the southwestern side of Model Cottages Lane where it joins the Upper Richmond Road (No.288) and where Waitrose now stands, was a large brick-built house. It was described as being of a warm plum-coloured brick with stone mouldings. Its rounded gables gave it an unmistakeable Dutch look, and it was called Red Lodge. It is shown in red on the map.

It was this large, already existing house that the Rev Swinney converted into the model lodging house. According to Anderson "It was to be a wonderful place, no smoking, no drinking except water, and everything to be done by rule. I need hardly tell you, it was soon shut up".

Red Lodge Turner

By 1861 the Red Lodge had reverted to being a single private dwelling house, where Albert Nelson, his wife Suzanna and their baby son lived with a nurse, cook, maid and general servant. The house had 12 rooms and in 1871 another large household, was in residence. However, the 1881 census records that it was occupied only by Maria Harberd, who was a charwoman, and her seven-year-old daughter, which suggests they were caretakers. Ten years later Eliza Brandreth and her adult daughter Margaret were the residents of the house, both were living on their own means, and had a cook and housemaid.

In the 1901 census the Red Lodge was lived in by three sisters: Mary, Lucy and Francis Suft, along with a servant, Matilda. Mary had bought the freehold of Red Lodge for £500 in 1897. It was described as a detached house having six rooms on the first floor, two of which were large, and on the ground floor were three sitting rooms, a kitchen, scullery, and pantry. There was a large garden to the rear. Mary's occupation was described as "literary work". By 1911 the house was no longer called Red Lodge but simply numbered 288 Upper Richmond Road. Mary and Francis, now in their 70s, continued to live in the house with their servant and were still living there at the time of the 1914 Valuation.

After the First World War the ground floor of the building was developed into four shops and were, variously, a coal merchant, hairdresser and pottery shop. The building was demolished in 1972 to make way for the Waitrose supermarket.