|
Colston's Almshouses |
Colston's Almshouses stood at the junction of Upper Richmond Road and Sheen Lane on the south west corner. The green in front of the Almshouses was known as Mile Stone Green. They were built in 1708 by Edward Colston. Colston was born in Bristol in 1636 and was a merchant who profited greatly from the Atlantic slave trade. In 1689 he moved to Mortlake and took a lease on Cromwell House. Colston became involved in local affairs and left £45 in his will for the teaching and clothing of 12 parish boys and 12 girls. Although he built the Almshouses at Mile Stone Green for six widows, he did not endow them. Colston died in 1721.
The 1891 Census reveals that all six houses were occupied by six widows who were all in their 60s or 70s. Again, in the 1901 Census, all the houses were occupied. Mrs Martha Hubbert, now 87, also appeared in the earlier Census of 1891, as was 76-year-old Mrs Ann Loveday and 77-year-old Mrs Jane Downett.
By the 1911 Census only four of the cottages were occupied. There was the 80-year-old Mrs Mary Manning who had also appeared in the 1901 Census and Mrs Kishere (of the pottery family) who lived at No.2.
It was decided that Colston's Almshouses should be demolished to make way for road widening. By November 1920 the sale of the buildings to Barnes Urban District Council had been completed and all the residents had been re-housed. Mrs Kishere was moved to a cottage in Juxon's Almshouses while the remaining widows were housed in the re-decorated stables of Cromwell House. Colston's Almshouses were demolished in 1922.
Three new almshouses were built in 1927 on a site at 36 - 40 Christ Church Road near the junction with Observatory Road. These ground floor, single bedroom cottages have pleasant gardens and are now owned and run by The Richmond Charities.