The railway between Clapham Junction and Richmond was opened in July 1846. Mortlake was one of the original stations on the line. Although the present station is on the original site, it has been rebuilt twice with the present buildings dating from 1895.
The attached article about Mortlake Station was published in the London Railway Record in April 2020. It is reproduced here with the kind permission of Peter Kay, the author and editor of London Railway Record.
For an account of the railways in Mortlake and Barnes see Leslie Freeman's 1996 article.