The churchyard of St Mary the Virgin was the only burial ground for the parish of Mortlake for three centuries. The original churchyard was extended in 1742 and 1799. But in 1854 its capcity had been reached and it was closed for new burials except for a few in existing family tombs. In 1957 three members of the Barnes and Mortlake History Society: Margaret Butler, Jean Wadley and a Miss Taylor, embarked on a survey of the surviving tomb inscriptions, retrieving over 500 names. Their catalogue of inscriptions can be viewed in Richmond Local Studies Collection and a plan of the graves in Mortlake churchyard can be viewed here.
Richard Jeffrey's 1983 The Story Of Mortlake Churchard is also available in Richmond Local Studies.
For more information on St Mary the Virgin church click here and for a paper telling the wider story of the burial places in Barnes and Mortlake click here.